Website exit-intent surveys appear when a user is about the leave the page on a website or web application.
💡 Survicate exit-intent surveys only work on web browsers that are opened on desktop and laptop devices. When a website with an exit-intent survey is opened on a mobile device, the visitor will not see this survey at all.
With exit-intent surveys, you can:
Collect insights to understand bounce and exit rates on your pages;
Understand shopping cart abandonment;
Improve website conversion;
Gather contact information and improve lead conversion.
In this article, you'll learn how to set up your survey to appear when a visitor is about to leave the page and what questions you can ask to understand why your visitors are leaving your website.
📌 Running exit-intent surveys is available from the Feedback Automation plan. Check out the pricing page for detailed information about the subscriptions.
Step 1. Create a website survey
1. Create a new survey and choose the Website or in-product surveys type from the menu. You can either set up a survey of your own (start from scratch) or select a survey from our templates library (start from template).
2. Customize your widget style and colors in the Create tab, and make your survey entirely branded as your own! You can change the placement of the survey on the page and modify your survey messages.
Step 2. Set up the survey to trigger on exit intent
1. Head over to the Target > Triggers tab. Under the option, When would you like to show the survey? pick When the user is about to exit
🔧 We trigger the survey when a person moves the cursor above a certain line (it’s 20px below the top of the page) or based on mouse movements – when a person moves the mouse quickly to the top of the page, they are usually about to exit.
2. You can set up the audience to target your survey to a specific group of website visitors or trigger your survey only on certain pages with a high bounce rate - such as your pricing page or shopping cart!
3. Once you are ready with your survey, start it from the Launch tab, and get ready to dive into your insights.
I don't see the survey even though I am about to leave the webpage
If you can't see the website survey and you've seen it before, try using incognito mode or changing the viewing frequency of the survey.
Also, please make sure your browser version is supported by Survicate.
Can I ask for an email address in my exit intent survey?
Of course! if you'd like to collect email addresses from your visitors, simply add a Contact Form question to any step of your survey flow:
Select "E-mail" as your field type and click on the ★ sign if you want to make this field mandatory:
Ask the right questions to understand why your respondents are leaving your website
Feel free to use one of our survey templates to understand why visitors are not staying on your website or use survey logic to ask follow-up questions.
📞 If you have any questions about showing exit-intent surveys - feel free to reach out to our team via chat or email: firstname.lastname@example.org