A Customer Satisfaction Survey (CSAT) is designed to identify the satisfaction rate of a company's services or activities. CSAT score is applied to assess customer interest, identify issues, or segment customers. High rates of satisfaction indicate potential customer expansion, royalty, and the chance to purchase your products again. Professionals use rating systems to assess improvements in performance and obtain a better view of whether or not your company follows the standards of the client.
📌While the Net Promoter Score (NPS) indicates customer loyalty, CSAT surveys indicate customer satisfaction with your product/service.
Table of contents:
Why CSAT is important?
- After the introduction of a new support approach, customer service can refer to the adjustments using their CSAT score
- The product team can collect feedback on the existing features and feature requests
- The human resources department could even conduct surveys of the employees to evaluate organizational happiness.
- Enterprises should check the CSAT score of each team to get a picture of their performance.
- Marketing teams may conduct competitive loss surveys that will notify potential projects.
- could be used by the sales teams as after the purchase communication to optimize sales operations and boost achievements.
- CSAT gives an opportunity for Customer Success to assess customer loyalty and resources.
How to measure the CSAT score?
A CSAT survey usually, it consists of one main question:
How would you rate your overall satisfaction with the service you received?
Typically, answer options are graded on a scale from 1-5, where 1 means very unsatisfied and 5 represents very satisfied.
The general formula how you can measure your score after the responses:
(Number of customers satisfied (4 and 5) / Number of survey responses) x 100 = percentage of customers satisfied
We advise you to choose 4 (satisfied) and 5 (very satisfied) answers to implement to the formula as it has been shown that the most reliable indicator of customer retention is using the two greatest values on customer feedback surveys.
Best practices of using CSAT surveys
Run an omnichannel survey
The best solution is to send surveys via email, websites well as using integrations and distribution options with various platforms. By focusing on different channels you are going to enable your consumers to take part in the survey when and where it is most convenient for them, which is a crucial point in a successful response rate.
Provide a text question for further feedback
After rating questions, feel free to provide open-ended (text answer) questions to gain deeper feedback and note the details. An open-ended question is good to have because the respondent can leave any thoughts and suggestions about your product or service they liked, as well as aspects that they didn't like. This way you can build trustful and close relationships with customers.
Keep it short
If you want to maximize your response rate, this might be the most useful best practice to remember. A survey, which consists of two questions of customer satisfaction and experience gives you an opportunity to boost responses while collecting helpful data. Just imagine, nobody wants to fill a long survey while having a lot of other things to do. To provide your respondent with a personalized survey experience, make sure to direct the most relevant question to the right group by using survey logic.
Run your CSAT survey after each conversation
It's a good idea to run the CSAT survey after each interaction with the Customer Success or Support teams, as it captures the view of conversation quality and helps to adjust the behavior. If you're going to run it once a year, probably it won't show you which aspects you should pay attention to. Thus, keep conducting your survey constantly to perform on the highest quality level.
Tips to success
- Embed your CSAT survey in an email, so the first question is going to be part of the email page. This would boost your response rate.
- Send your CSAT survey after solving Zendesk tickets to gather the most valuable data. You can create a new automation for your survey, or add your survey to existing automation.
- Running a CSAT survey in Intercom allows you to get immediate feedback directly in chat after a conversation is conducted. It's a good chance to follow up on a customer fast in case of an unsatisfied experience.
- Use HubSpot to send CSAT surveys to your leads or customers. You can also transfer survey answers to your lead properties. It can be used for stronger segmentation, lead grading, and qualification. The feedback is collected in real-time, allowing to control communication with leads.
- Keep everyone on your team on-board by using our native Slack Integration to send survey notifications in real-time. Act on the feedback in no time and tackle issues to keep users happy.