By combining the power of Survicate surveys with Intercom's Series feature, you can boost your response rate and reach your customers where they feel the most comfortable answering your survey.
In this article, you'll learn how to:
Uncover your active users' insights by surveying them with in-app surveys,
Automatically follow up with the users who didn't respond to your in-app with an embedded email survey,
Automatically capture user's first & last name and email address information - so you can act upon scores with follow-up emails to prevent churn or boost referrals,
Pass your survey responses to Intercom as user/company attributes, tags, and events.
Things you will need:
A free account at Survicate (Sign up)
An Intercom account with the Series feature
Step 1. Create an Intercom Messenger survey
1. In your Survicate Panel, click on Create new survey.
2. Select Intercom Messenger surveys from the list of options, and choose whether you'd like to use a ready template or start from scratch. Then, build your survey by adding your questions and applying survey logic.
Step 2. Pass survey responses to Intercom as tags and/or attributes
In order to identify the respondents who have answered the survey, we need to pass information regarding the user participating in the survey to Intercom. You can pass information as a tag or as an attribute. Read on to see how you can achieve this.
1. Head on to the Connect tab of the Intercom Messenger survey you've just created, find Intercom from the list of integrations and click the Connect button to set up the authorization (if not authorized before).
2. Under the Settings tab, you'll see the option to send responses to user or company profiles as tags and/or attributes. Pick your desired action here, and set up the tag or attribute that should be assigned to the respondents.
We've chosen to assign the tag "kb-survey-replied" to each respondent who answered our first question. You can add more tags or send tags and attributes simultaneously.
Step 3. Create your in-app message in the Intercom Series
1. Start by creating a new Series in Intercom and defining the group of users who will enter this series (your target audience).
In this example, we decided to send this survey to the visitors of our help center.
2. Add your chat message to the Series from the right-hand window. Then, insert your survey into your Intercom message by clicking on the➕ that appears on the left-hand side of the message. Choose Insert app > Survicate Customer Surveys from the list and select the survey you want to add to your message.
💡 See How to run surveys in Intercom messenger article for more detailed instructions.
3. Once you are ready, save your chat message.
Step 4. Set up your email message's audience
To send the follow-up email survey only to the users who didn’t answer the in-app message, we will need to define this group in the Series. This is where the integration we've done on the second step will come in handy!
1. Firstly, we need to set up a delay between the messages so that customers won't be getting the same survey simultaneously.
In our example, we decided to wait for 7 days before sending the email survey follow-up.
2. Next, we need to exclude the customers who have answered the in-app message survey. As we are tagging every respondent who answered the first question of our survey with "kb-survey-replied", all we need to do is to exclude the customers who have this tag assigned to their Intercom profile from the audience of our email.
🚀 After applying the above steps, our series looks like this:
See the next steps to learn how to add a follow-up email with a survey as the next step of the Series.
Step 5. Create an Email or Shareable link survey
Now that we have our Intercom Messenger survey and email survey audience ready, let's create the survey that we'll embed inside our follow-up email.
1. Select Email or shareable link survey from the list of options, and pick whether you'd like to use a ready template or start from scratch. For ease of analysis, it's better to have the same questions in this survey as in the Intercom Messenger survey you created in Step 1.
See the Send surveys via Intercom emails article for detailed instructions.
📌 You can enable Intercom integration for your email survey as well, although it's not necessary for this particular guide, we highly recommend it. Follow the steps in the Intercom integration article to set up the integration.
Step 6. Add your email survey to the Intercom Series
With your Email or Shareable link survey ready, we can add the next step to the Intercom Series.
1. You can embed the Survicate survey's first question inside the Intercom email's body and let the respondents start the survey directly from the email. This is a proven way to boost your response rate! Your respondent will then be redirected to a landing page to take the rest of the survey.
Head on to the Share tab of your survey in Survicate and grab the HTML code by clicking on Get your code.
2. Then, head on to Intercom's Series you are working on and add an email message. To embed your survey inside the email, click the Switch to HTML editor button on the bottom left of the email builder.
Replace the code with the one you've copied from your Survicate survey's Share tab, and enter the subject of your email.
After applying all the steps, our series looks like this:
That's it! Now set your series live and dive into your customer feedback 🚀
Enable more integrations in your survey
If you use other tools aside from Intercom to store customer information, you can enable multiple integrations in one survey.
📞 If you have any questions about setting up the Intercom integration or creating the surveys - feel free to reach out to our team via chat or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.