How does it work?
You can create a survey and distribute it through the Intercom messenger so that the entire survey will be conducted inside the chat bubble. It allows you to survey your customers inside your app and keep them engaged throughout the process.
Entire survey right inside your Intercom messenger.
No redirect to a landing page.
You can put your questions in a logical order to ask different follow-up questions based on responses.
It works like any other Intercom in-app message, so you can target surveys based on Intercom data you have on your Customers.
No code installation.
Target based on your data.
🔌 It works with our Intercom data integration, so you can send survey responses back to Intercom as:
Tags - user or company.
Attributes - user or company.
Events - user.
Open a new conversation based on survey responses.
🔧 It's easy to set up, ready to go in 6 steps!
Step 1: How to create a survey for the messenger?
1. Click on the New survey button on your dashboard. Pick Intercom Messenger surveys from the menu:
2. Start by adding your first question by selecting one of the question types
You can change the copy of your question by clicking the copy bar, you can also include an introductory text by clicking "add introduction"
Step 2: Set up your survey logic
1. We want to be able to ask different questions for our promoters, passives, and detractors.
In order to set up conditional logic, you will need to have these questions ready in your survey.
Once you've added all your questions, to set up a personalized survey experience using survey logic. So, let's go ahead and add these questions.
💡 Tip: You can easily duplicate a question to make changes to it:
💡 Tip: If you'd like to make sure your respondents will provide further feedback, you can make text question mandatory under the settings tab of a text question:
2. Now head on to the logic tab of the question you'd like to set up the logic from. Here, select the relevant questions you'd like to show your respondents based on their responses.
📌 You will need to change the logic for all the questions you'd like to apply logic.
3. To finalize our survey, we'd like to have a Call to Action, so select "Call to Action" from the questions list.
Under the settings tab of the call to action, you can modify the URL and button text to finalize your survey.
Step 3: Preview your survey
On the right side of the page, you can preview your survey as if you were a respondent. Every change to your survey appears here in real-time, and you will be able to test the look&feel of your survey as you go on creating it.
📌 Survey color will automatically be assigned from your Messenger settings. Therefore it's not editable in Survicate.
Step 4: Edit survey messages and settings
To set up your survey settings and edit survey messages, head on to the Settings tab of your survey.
You will see a list of settings you can modify about your survey, check out the features below:
You can customize the text on an unavailable survey, completed/answered survey, and Submit button. This is especially useful if you are running your surveys in different languages.
If you are on some of the paid plans, you will be able to remove Survicate branding from your surveys.
If you'd like a survey to be refreshed after someone completes the survey (so that they'll be able to retake it instantly), enable this toggle.
Step 5: Connect your survey to Intercom (or any other supported integration!)
Under the Connect tab, you will be able to integrate your survey answers with your day-to-day tools. You can push your survey answers to multiple tools, and keep track of customer data to every software of your choice.
1. The messenger app works with Intercom integration. Therefore, if it's your first time enabling Intercom integration, click the Connect button to set up the authorization.
📌 We need Intercom integration to be able to run surveys on Intercom messenger, after enabling Intercom integration, you can connect your survey to other integrations, such as Salesforce, Hubspot, Google Sheets, etc.
2. In the pop-up window, press the Authorize access button to confirm the connection. If you don't see the pop-up window, you may need to allow pop-ups in your browser - please look for the settings in your browser URL bar, or use instructions for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, or Safari.
3. Now you are ready to define which answers you'd like to send to your software. Under the Settings tab, you will be able to see all the features we offer for the particular integration. For Intercom, for example, you can send responses to user or company profiles as tags and/or attributes, start a conversation upon a text response, and create new users or companies.
📌 This step is advised, but not obligatory to run surveys on Intercom Messenger. You can choose not to send any responses back to Intercom, but you can still run our surveys on Intercom Messenger.
4. Click on the feature you'd like to use. We have chosen to update attributes upon a specific answer. Under questions, you can choose which question's responses you'd like to pass to Intercom.
5. Select an attribute you want to integrate with from the list or create a new one.
📌Note: By default, Survicate is sending the content of an answer as the attribute value, but you can change the label to make it shorter or to fit your data structure - click edit mapping to modify these values:
6. Once you have your integration set up, you can test it without leaving Survicate - click Try it out button and we will create a test user and send question answers in the format you selected.
7. You can connect more questions to your integration by clicking ➕Connect another question and apply steps 5-7.
💡Tip: Some integration actions require specific questions. If your survey is not suitable for an action, you will be able to see them in the tooltip next to this feature.
9. Once you are ready with the integration set up, go ahead and move on to the launch tab to start your survey!
Step 6: Send your Intercom Messenger survey
How to send a survey via automated or manual in-app messages?
How to send a survey during a conversation?
How to send a survey via automated or manual in-app messages?
1. To send a survey with an automated or manual message just create your message in Intercom and click on the➕ that appears on the left-hand side of the message.
2. Select Insert app
3. Choose Survicate Customer Surveys from the list and pick the survey you want to embed inside your message.
❗The survey won't be displayed fully if you distribute it as a snippet! You need to choose to show the full message option to make it work.
4. Set up the audience rules and other settings as you'd normally do - and send your message!
How to send a survey during a conversation
If you want to send a survey to users or leads you to chat with, you can do that by clicking on Add a messenger app in the bottom-left corner of your Inbox, choose Survicate Customer Surveys and pick a survey you want to send during a conversation.
Can I use Survicate's Messenger surveys in Intercom's mobile messenger chat?
Yes! Our surveys work on Intercom Messenger on mobile as well. Make sure to update your Intercom SDK to 5.0.4 and above.
I can't insert my survey, it says "there are no surveys in your account"
If you see a message "There are no Survicate surveys in your account" - please check which type of survey you've created. You have most likely created an email survey that can only be sent via Intercom emails. Please go back to the first step, and create a survey for Intercom messenger.
Will my respondents be identified?
Yes, Intercom automatically passes the information about the respondent, such as name, email address, country etc. to Survicate.
📞 If you have any questions - feel free to reach out to our team via chat or email: firstname.lastname@example.org