You can use cookie-based targeting to:
trigger surveys only to a chosen group of visitors who have specific cookies;
exclude certain groups from seeing a survey;
filter your responses for better respondent sampling and analysis.
In this article, you'll learn how to target a survey to your chosen audience. You'll also see how cookies can be used for the analysis of your survey.
Step 1. Collect respondent cookies
To be able to target website visitors based on the cookies assigned to their profiles, it's necessary to first install the Survicate tracking code on your website, collect the cookies, and pass them to Survicate.
Please follow this guide to learn how to set it up.
Step 2. Target respondents using cookies
1. To set up targeting based on cookie value, head over to the Target > Audience tab.
2. Create a New Audience, then pick Cookies under the Add Filter button.
3. Here, decide whether you'd like to include or exclude the visitors with a specific cookie value.
4. Type in the cookie and cookie value you'd like to target and click Create Audience.
5. If you have two or more Cookies in the same audience, you can decide if we should trigger the survey when all of them match the visitor (AND condition) or only one of them (OR condition).
💡You can also add more filters to a specific audience by clicking Add Filter.
6. Enable the Audience in order to display the survey properly!
Step 3. Use multiple Audiences
1. If you have two or more filters in the same audience, you can decide if we should trigger the survey when all of these filters match the visitor (AND condition) or only one of them (OR condition).
2. If you have two or more audiences enabled, we trigger the surveys to all enabled audiences. The website visitor must match the requirements of at least one of the enabled Audiences (OR condition).
Step 3. Filter results by respondent cookies
The respondent cookies used to target your website's visitors are included in the Analyze tab of the survey, and in the export - we send them along with answers from a specific person.
1. To filter responses based on cookie values, go to the Analyze tab of your survey, click Filter, and you'll see your Custom attributes to choose from. Underneath this section, you should see the cookie's name:
2. You can also see this cookie with its value in Analyze > Individual responses assigned to the respondents:
I don't see the survey even though I match the respondent cookies
If you don't see the survey when entering the website where it should appear, it's also possible you have already answered it. Please try changing the survey's frequency settings.
Define other filters in your Audience
Show the survey only to users from a chosen visit source, to visitors speaking a particular language, or using a mobile or desktop device. Learn how to achieve this here.
Target the survey on specific URLs or show it with a delay
Choose to show your survey after someone has scrolled a part of your webpage when they're about to exit or only on some of your website's subpages. Visit our targeting basic guide to learn how to achieve this.