To send a survey via Intercom Email, you can either create an Email or Shareable link survey in your Survicate account and include its link in your email, or embed the survey's first question in the email's body using HTML code, but you can also customize the message yourself by hiding answers behind Intercom buttons. This way, you can:
make your emails look better and match with all the rest of your Intercom communication;
increase the response rate of your surveys.
In this article, you'll learn how to create a custom survey using Intercom buttons.
Table of contents:
Step 1. Create an Email or Shareable link survey
1. Click on the New survey ➕ button on your dashboard.
2. Select Email or shareable link survey from the menu.
3. Decide how you'd like to continue creating this survey. There are two options to choose from. You can either 1️⃣ add questions of your own or 2️⃣ select a survey from our templates library.
4. Next, choose the first question; if you decide to use a single-answer question, a smiley scale, a rating scale, or an NPS question, we will provide you with HTML code (you will be able to hide every answer behind a button). If you choose any other type of question, we will give you access only to the link leading to a survey.
Step 2. Create an Intercom Email
1. Go to your Intercom account and in the Outbound > Emails tab, click on New email.
2. Start creating the email, add your text, and when you're ready, take a look at the next step to learn how to incorporate the Survicate survey into the email.
Step 3. Copy the link to a survey or to an answer
1. You can copy the link of your survey from its Share tab and hide it under the CTA button in an Intercom Email:
2. If you have chosen a Single choice, an NPS, a Smiley scale, or a Rating scale as the first question, you can hide each answer behind a separate button.
Click Get your code in the survey's Share tab and copy the link of the answer:
❗️The HTML code consists of a question and multiple answers, each with a unique URL (inside <a> tags)
<a href="Here is answer URL" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Here is the answer</a>
Please note that you need to copy the URL preceding your chosen answer to connect the right answer with the button, just like in the example:
✅ It's ready! Send your new, great-looking survey to customers, and get ready for dozens of responses!
Enable the Intercom integration
If you send the survey through Intercom Email and automatically recognize the respondents, you can also choose to map the answers to Intercom profiles. Take a look here for a step-by-step guide on how to save responses in Intercom as tags, attributes, and events for better customer segmentation and how to start a chat conversation upon a text-answer response to reach out to unhappy customers quickly.
📞 If you have any questions about creating an Intercom survey, feel free to reach out to our team at email@example.com or strike up a chat conversation!