You can use Survicate with Marketo to:
Send embedded surveys via Marketo emails with Marketo-aware links that allow you to collect respondent's data along with the answers;
Create website surveys that will be assigned to specific respondents;
View survey answers as Marketo lead fields values and activities;
Create leads with contact forms.
📌 Before connecting the integration, make sure your respondents will be recognized. It's necessary to collect respondents' information in order to pass data to the correct Marketo lead fields.
📌 Marketo integration is available on some of the plans. If you are interested in testing this integration, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to our team from live chat. We can set up a 1-1 call to guide you through the steps of enabling the integration.
Table of contents:
Configure Marketo environment
1. Create new role: In Marketo go to Admin > Users & Roles > Roles > Create new role.
️Minimal role permissions for the role are Read-Write Lead, Read-Write Activity, Read-Write Activity Metadata.
2. Create a new API-only user: In Marketo, go to Admin > Users & Roles > Invite New User. Fill out the data, select proper roles (API, API-only) or others if you need them, and send the invite.
3. Create a new service: Go to Admin > LaunchPoint > New > New Service. Fill up the fields and create a service.
Once you have done that, click on "View Details". Client ID and Client Secret will be displayed here. Copy and paste these data to the Survicate authorization window.
4. Get the endpoint URL: Go to Admin > Web Services > REST API. Copy the Endpoint and paste it into the Survicate authorization window.
1. Go to the Connect tab of your survey, find, and pick Marketo from the list of integrations.
2. Click the Connect button to set up the authorization.
3. A pop-up window will appear for you to authorize your Marketo account, asking you to enter your Client ID, Client Secret, and the REST endpoint URL. Click Authorize once those are entered. If you don't see the pop-up window, you may need to allow pop-ups in your browser - please look for the settings in your browser URL bar, or use instructions for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, or Safari.
💡Tip: If you wish to set up Marketo integration settings, you can move to Settings > Integrations > Marketo and choose Marketo from the integration list.
As you can see above, you can set up two settings in the Marketo integration window:
Synchronize anonymous answers after a visitor becomes a lead: With this function enabled, we will send all the data gathered anonymously from a visitor once they fill a contact form and become a lead.
Anonymize leads: If you enable this feature, we will not capture the lead's email address that answered the survey. We will instead save the Lead_id. This way, you can ensure that no private data of your leads are stored with Survicate.
4. Now the integration is ready to use! See the features we offer for Marketo Integration under the settings:
Creating new leads with contact forms
1. To create a new lead in Marketo from Survicate, add a contact form question to your survey with a required email field.
2. Under the Settings tab of Marketo Integration, select Create leads and choose the question you wish to create the new lead from.
3. Enable Create new lead in Marketo.
Update Marketo lead fields
You can choose which answers are sent to your leads in Marketo. The mapping table lets you map custom values to be passed with each response.
1. Move to the Settings tab of Marketo Integration and select update lead fields.
2. Select the question you wish the update the fields from. To avoid flooding your Marketo user profiles with data, we enable you to decide on a question level whether or not to send responses to Marketo.
📌 Update lead fields don't support Welcome message, Thank you screen, Matrix, and Ranking answer questions.
3. Select the prospect field you want to integrate from the list or add a new one by writing the name and clicking + Create [prospect field name].
By default, Survicate is sending the content of an answer as the prospect field value, but you can change the label to make it shorter or to fit your data structure - click edit mapping to modify these values:
📌Note: For the NPS question, by default, we send the values mapped based on the response group, like 9-10 Promoters. You can enable the Send answers as 0-10 values option if you want to receive your numeric value.
4. You can connect more questions to your integration by clicking ➕Connect another question and applying the same steps.
❗ For website surveys to send data to the correct contact attribute lead_id must be used.
Sending lead activities to Marketo
Once configured, the following data will be sent to the Lead Activity Log in Marketo:
You can use these attributes to trigger automated campaigns in Marketo.
1. Move to the Settings tab of Marketo Integration, and select send lead activities.
2. Enable Send survey responses to your contacts as lead activities.
3. Now, whenever your survey has a new response, this will appear on the contact profile as recent activity.
Where can I find data from Survicate in Marketo?
1. Go to your Marketo account > Lead Database
2. All Leads > Leads > Click on the Lead ID
3. You will see all data you have collected with Survicate in Lead Info and all activities for that Lead in Activity Log.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use this to target Marketo campaigns?
You can trigger personalized lead nurturing campaigns based on identified challenges, fears, jobs, and more within Marketo based on the values from a Survicate survey.
Can I send data to custom fields in Marketo?
Yes. We not only support sending data to default lead fields but also to those you have created manually in Marketo.
Do you sync answers once an anonymous visitor becomes a lead?
Yes – we allow you to survey anonymous visitors throughout their visits, gradually gathering valuable insights. Based on the information collected, you can create specific segments and deepen your knowledge about them. Once they sign up with Survicate's or Marketo contact form - we push all the insights from Survicate to the Lead Profile in Marketo - even if they have been gathered with many different surveys. You get your newly created contact delivered with a package of actionable insights.
Use a mailing list in Marketo to distribute your surveys
Create a link or email survey so we can automatically capture subscribers' first & last name and email address information - so you'll know who responded to your survey!
📞 If you have any questions on setting up Marketo integration - feel free to reach out to our team via chat or email: email@example.com